You’ve finally made it all the way across town (or country) and arrived at your new home and neighborhood after months of planning, packing and saying your goodbyes to friends and neighbors. It seems like the hardest part of what has been called one of the most stressful things you can do is behind you – but it isn’t. Now, it’s time to begin to make your new place truly begin to feel like home. Where do you begin? What are the steps you should take to begin to break in your new digs? Well, unless you are someone who moves often it may seem a bit confusing. For this reason, we offer you some tips for settling into your new home.
- Transfer your utilities and services: As soon as you can, transfer electric, gas, phone, etc., to your new home. This can be accomplished online relatively hassle-free.
- Clean before you begin unpacking: More likely than not, the former homeowners will have cleaned up before they left. However, just to make sure, you should thoroughly clean your new home before unpacking.
- Choose which items to unpack and set up in a logical order: Assuming that it will take you more than a few hours or even a day to fully set up your new place, prioritize which items you will unpack first. Set up your bedroom first in the event you don’t finish in one day. That way you will have a place to sleep. Next, set up the kitchen, bathroom, etc.
- Set aside a room for the small stuff: Place small boxes full of low priority items aside temporarily and tackle them later. (Remember, you do not have to completely unpack and set up in one day.)
- Secure your home: Make sure that you call a locksmith to change all locks and garage door opener codes. (You never know if friends and relatives of the previous residents will have access to these.) Also check you new home’s smoke detector, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Map out your new home and neighborhood: Make a mental or even an actual map of the neighborhood so that you can easily find grocery stores, gas station, banks, hospitals, etc., in the area. Also, make sure to familiarize yourself with all aspects of your home.
As a company that strives to provide the best moving and storage in Los Angeles, we want you to know that moving happens in stages. The stages are finding a new place, packing, moving and setting up your new home. We handle the moving and storage stage and think that these tips will help you to complete the final stage. For full service moving in Los Angeles, call us if you have any additional questions about any stage of your move.