According to a survey conducted by the online residential real estate site Trulia, 60.6% of Americans who live in a home over 2,000 square feet would choose to live in a smaller home if given they could. Thus, the myth that most people who move desire to live in a more spacious home than they are currently living is quickly dispelled. Can you downsize your current abode to a smaller one and still maintain the style and comfort to which you are accustomed? We say yes. Here are 6 tips for downsizing in order to live comfortably in a cozier space.
- Take inventory of your belongings: Take some time to separate your wants from your needs. As difficult and tedious as it may be, go through your belongings and decide what you wish to keep vs. what you wish to donate.
- Determine your lifestyle needs: When moving to a smaller home, take the time to decide what lifestyle you wish to live going forward. Downsizing your possessions may also mean that you will have to readjust your lifestyle.
- Determine which items you may wish to place in storage: A well-maintained, secure storage facility can be your best friend when moving. If you are moving from a rather large home to a smaller one, a storage facility will save you from having to dispose of items you that would just as soon keep. We provide the best moving and storage in Los Angeles and use secure, climate controlled facilities to protect your belongings.
- Have a moving sale: Make extra money, get rid of unwanted items and de-clutter your home all in one fell swoop. There are plenty of great sites such as OfferUp, Craigslist, EBay, etc. that can help you sell off unwanted or unused items.
- Eliminate redundancy: Eliminate duplicate items that you have around the house. Browse through your pantry, cabinets, etc. Decide whether or not you need multiple food processors, clothing items, etc.
- Get rid of food items: Toss out food items that are past their expiration date.
In short, moving to a smaller home takes a bit of planning and some adjustments to be made. On the plus side, moving to a smaller home also has with it some distinct advantages. It could, for example, help you save money on heating and other bills. Remember, for full service moving in Los Angeles we can help you with the tricky transition from a larger home to a smaller one.