Buying a home should be and usually is a joyful time in life. However, there is much more to the actual cost of buying a house, both when you buy and every month after that many first time homeowners forget to consider in their excitement at owning a new house. Below is a summary of all the costs and expenses you should be thinking about when making this major purchase.
- Closing costs: The down payment is the big number that nearly everyone is aware of and dreads. However, closing costs can also add up when buying a home. These fees could include things like appraisal fees, underwriting and origination fees, document prep fees, credit report fees, recording fees, etc.
- Property taxes: The important thing to remember about property taxes is that they are not static. State and local governments can and do raise them routinely. Your real estate agent can give you an estimate of what your property taxes might be.
- Homeowners and hazard insurance: As is the case with taxes, insurance costs can vary from state to state. Typically, homeowner’s insurance bills can range anywhere from between $500 to $2,000 a year. You may be able to lower the cost of your homeowner’s insurance by bundling it with your auto and life insurance.
- Home maintenance: While apartment dwellers rely on landlords to maintain their apartment and the surrounding environment, homeowners are responsible for such duties. Homeowners should factor in lawn maintenance and landscaping costs along with appliance repair, etc.
- Utilities: Some apartment owners provide their tenants with certain paid utilities. This is not the case for homeowners. In order to get a general sense of how much a certain utility will cost, you can often call the utility company and ask for the amount of the last bill for a home in the area.
Finally, the cost of moving itself can quickly add up. Expenses to consider include boxes, bubble wrap and other moving supplies, deposits for utilities, cleaning supplies, etc. This is why our moving company in Agoura Hills tries to our cost reasonable. We know all the challenges and pressures that moving day brings with it. So, check out our site for the best moving and storage in Los Angeles and ease some of the stress that comes with relocating.