One of the top goals that people strive for when it comes to relocating is to make sure that everything runs smoothly and that there are no unplanned emergencies. One way to avoid moving day disasters is to hire the right moving company. Hiring a moving company with years of experience in the business makes things flow easier and reduces the chance that relocating will be the hair-raising experience many people find it to be. To help you avoid losing time, money and hair, we’ve gathered five ways to ensure that catastrophes do not occur during your next move.
- Avoid getting scammed by your moving company – Unfortunately, there are many scam moving companies out there. They can put your money and your property in jeopardy on that most important day. To avoid them, you should carefully research any company you will be dealing with. Make sure that their customer service is top notch. Be sure that they have the correct licenses. Most importantly of all, be sure to check with former customers of that company. Our Calabasas moving and storage company can withstand the scrutiny of the pickiest customer.
- The new house is not ready – Few things rank higher of the scale of things that can go wrong than a house that is not ready. Some signs that a house is not ready include still wet paint, locked fences, dusty floors laden with cement, unpolished windows and visible scaffolding. Worst of all, some “unprepared” homes are not even habitable yet and may require home owners to stay at a motel. To avoid this disaster, communicate with the old homeowner weeks in advance of moving in order to make sure that all right with the home.
- Accidents and injuries: Saving money is one thing but safety should be the top concern of anyone who is involved in a move. Accidents that can occur when moving include being cut by sharp instruments, heavy lifting injuries, tripping, etc. In order to avoid such an emergency caution everyone involved in the move to use the proper equipment when moving – such as a transport belt – and the proper form when lifting. Also, be sure to pack a first aid kit with you.
- Friends bail on your DIY move – One way to avoid this potential disaster is to hire professional movers to help you during your relocation. Our movers in Burbank will not contact you at the last moment because they are sick or because “something came up”.
- Movers refuse to transport your item – We try to be as accommodating as possible but there are certain items that movers are forbidden by law from moving. These items include loaded guns, paint thinner, gasoline, propane tanks, etc.
In short, accidents happen no matter how well prepared a person may be. However, properly preparing yourself can reduce the chance that this special day will be special for all the wrong reasons.