The months of November and December are hectic times of the year regardless of whether you live in a warm climate such as the one have here in California or whether you live in a climate that experiences much cooler temperatures. One of the reasons for this is because Thanksgiving and Christmas can make the task of moving even more problematic that it already is. Here are some quick tips to help you to manage your holiday move, even if you find yourself a bit overwhelmed by the season.
- Start setting aside the funds for your move months in advance: We all know that budgets begin to be strained during the holiday seasons. When you factor in the costs that are involved in moving things can really start to add up. So, in order to avoid taking a real hit you should start putting aside your money well in advance of your move if you choose to relocate during the holiday season. This way you can still have the funds to truly enjoy the season and have money left over to facilitate your move.
- Donate unwanted items: Christmas is the time of miracles. It is also the time to give to others who are less fortunate. By donating your items to charities such as Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity and The Salvation Army, you will be helping others and making your move less cumbersome and less expensive. Moreover, most organizations like the ones above will gladly pick up your items for free and you can even get a tax deduction at the end of the year for your charitable donation.
- Pack your items little by little: Start by creating a staging area for boxes and supplies and then start packing small things that you do not use on a daily basis. This will make moving day a little less hectic and it will allow you to still engage in holiday based activities.
- Pack some of your holiday decorations: Although they can technically be thought of as non-essentials, you should begin to pack some holiday decorations as soon as you can. This way you will be able to put up some decorations when you reach your new destination immediately and not miss out on the holiday season entirely.
- Take advantage of Black Friday: This year Black Friday is on November, 29. Therefore, if you plan to move around Christmas time, it would be a good idea to take advantage of the many Black Friday sales to purchase moving supplies such as tape, scissors, bubble wrap, marker, labels, etc.
Moving during the holiday season doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Simply follow the above tips and plan for traffic being heavier than usual in most places since it is also travel season. Our Thousand Oaks moving and storage company moves people all year round. We know that planning is the key to making the transition from one home to another go smoothly. Our movers in Burbank can relieve you from worrying about your cherished belongings as well.