Mostly moves aren’t known for being environmentally friendly. There is the fuel used in going to your destination, the tons of trash that is created during the entire process as well as many other aspects of a typical move that only add to the stress that we subject our planet to on a daily basis. Fortunately, there are things that for those of us who are concerned about the health of our planet can do to reduce our carbon footprint when we move and thus alleviate some of the pressure on our ecosystem. Here are some tips that may help make your move more eco-friendly.
- Start planning early: By taking the time to plan out your route you will be saving on gas. You can also save on gas by using an app like Gas Buddy which helps you find the best gas prices wherever you are.
- Get used boxes: Spare more trees from being destroyed by going around to friends, family members, co-workers and local businesses to solicit them for boxes that are already made up and have been used. Just be sure to inspect them to make sure that they fit your needs. Most people will be only so glad to get rid of the clutter.
- Use plastic crates instead of cardboard boxes: Instead of using cardboard boxes at all use plastic crates and bins during your move. Studies show 60 cardboard boxes on average are used during the average move. Plastic crates and bins are reusable and are generally sturdier than cardboard boxes.
- Recycle items that you are getting rid of: There are many companies that will take your old electronics and make good use of them thus preventing them from littering landfills. You can easily find place near you by performing a basic Internet search.
- Be creative with packing materials: Instead of adding additional stress to the environment by purchasing new cardboard boxes, look around you and think of alternatives. Items like duffel bags, coolers, laundry baskets, suitcases can also be used to transport your items around and chances are they are already sitting around your home waiting to be reused.
- Use alternatives to bubble wrap and Styrofoam packing peanuts: Try using bath towels, old clothes, newspaper, etc to insulate your fragile items. This will protect them and save you the money of purchasing packaging supplies.
Our Pasadena moving company supports the use of eco-friendly materials and techniques that help make our environment cleaner and healthier. We used many recycled materials at our