Moving day is drawing near. You’ve called us and are doing some last minute packing. It appears as if you have made all the plans and gone over your checklist. But wait. Is there something you’ve forgotten? Well, that something that you’ve forgotten to prepare may be one of the most valuable possessions you own – your car. You should take at least as much time preparing your car for your move as you did packing your other belongings. Here are six tips to ensure that your car (and your family) gets to your new home safely.
- Take your car in for service: In order to reduce the risk of breaking down while driving to your new home, have your local mechanic inspect your car. He/she will be able to tell you whether or not your car is ready for the journey. Have things like your oil, tires, wipers, belt, hoses and timing belt , checked.
- Plan your route: Planning your route will not only be more fuel efficient, it will also save wear and tear on your car. Moreover, mapping out your route will give you immediate access to rest spots, dining facilities, and motels.
- Fuel up: Top your tank off before you leave.
- Get plenty of sleep: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, driver fatigue is a cause in 100,000 car crashes and 1,500 crash-related deaths a year. Go to bed early the night before you move so that you are refreshed and alert on the big day.
- Plan for the unexpected: Have a plan in case of a breakdown, accident, etc. Also, pack emergency supplies, water and food.
- Plan your entertainment: Let’s face it – long trips on the road can be boring. Moreover, kids can become irritable and cause distractions which could put your car and its passengers at risk. To decrease the chances of this happening, consider packing a DVD player, handheld electronic devices, a portable cell phone charger etc., with you. Listening to music is also a way to stay alert when driving great distances.
As you perform the following task prior to your move, consider our Moving Company in Agoura Hills. Our expert movers can make the other aspects of your move smoother and more seamless. Additionally, we handle storage in Agoura Hills so that you do not have to worry about possessions that you will not be moving into your new home right away.