We’ve already written on this blog about how stressful moving can be on your entire family including your children. But just imagine how difficult it can be on the special member(s) of your family. I am referring to your pets. With fish or similar smaller animal the transition to a new place can be relatively easy but with a cat or dog it is different. He or she is being introduced to an entirely different environment containing new sights, sounds and smells not to mention the fact that the process of moving itself can be harrowing on your pets. So that you are not presented with a series of unwanted challenges when moving, our Thousand Oaks moving and storage company would like to provide the following tips for pet owners.
- Verify that your new accommodations are pet-friendly: Before you move, confirm that your new location is pet friendly.
- Make sure your pet is accustomed to being in a carrier or on a leash: Make sure that you and your dog are safe when traveling by securing them in a manner that will not affect your driving.
- Keep medications and food on-hand: Make sure when you are packing your dog’s favorite toys and other items to also pack at least a week’s worth of his/her meds. In fact, make a point of it to contact your veterinarian before moving. You will want to make sure that your pet has his/her shots and that his/her medical records are up-to-date. Finally, make sure that you update your dog’s ID tag or microchip.
- Prevent motion sickness: Just like humans, dogs get motion sickness too. In order to make your pet’s trip more enjoyable, feed and give it water and make frequent stops along the way to your destination.
- Research your route: Be sure that there are pet friendly hotels on the way to your destination in case you have to stop before arriving at your new home.
- Take time out to play with your pet: So that your dog or cat will associate their new surroundings with having fun, be sure to play with him/her when you arrive.
Finally, these tips should help make what can be a traumatic experience for your pet safer and more enjoyable for both of you. Our Westlake Village moving company would like to eliminate as much of the stress from the experience of moving as we can.