Generally parents are pretty good at sensing when their children may be experiencing some kind of anxiety. However, when adults move to a new neighborhood they can sometimes overlook how stressful this experience can be kids. Starting a new school in particular is one experience that can make children very anxious and in some cases even fearful. The following are suggestions how parents can help children feel more comfortable and secure as they adjust to a new school.
- Visit the school with your child before they are scheduled to start: Take some time to explore the school you are enrolling your child in before classes starts. Introduce yourself to your child’s teachers and familiarize yourself with the curriculum. Most importantly, take him/her with you so that they can feel that they have a sense of control over what is going on.
- Sit in on a class with your (elementary) age child: This will allow you to meet the children your son or daughter will be interacting with. It will also give you the opportunity to address some of his/her anxiety in real time.
- Share some of your firsts: Relate to your child a time when you were anxious about something either in your childhood or as an adult. Let them know how you dealt with it and that you and the rest of the family are available to help him/her adjust.
- Support your child with a positive, encouraging attitude: Let your child know that you are proud of them and that they are capable of making new friends and excelling at their new school. Most importantly, listen to what your child is saying and let him/her know that you are trying to help.
- Be patient: Remembering instances in your life when you felt apprehension and fear and eventually overcame them should help you to feel empathy for your child. Chances are he/she will eventually adjust to the new environment. You will just have to expect ups and downs, highs and lows for a time. If your child continues to be fearful or is crying, for example, you may wish to set up a meeting with his/her teacher and/or a counselor.
With the proper support system in place, you child should eventually adjust to his/her new school and see the opportunity it presents them with to start new friendships and explore new activities, subjects, etc. Just be sure to use our Calabasas moving and storage company when you are ready to make the transition to your new home. Our moving company in Agoura Hills is also experienced in helping people to transition seamlessly into a new environment.