May is National Moving Month and to kick things off we would like to let people who will be moving with infants and toddlers know how to handle the added stress that moving with the little ones in tow can bring. Below are some things to do before, during and after moving with a baby to help you and your little one get off to the right start.
- Stick to a routine: Anyone who has ever raised a baby knows that it is all about adhering to a routine. Babies love them and they help raising a child much less hectic for parents. Therefore, stick to your baby’s routine when moving. For example, use nap-time to get packing done.
- Make an “emergency” bag: Pack a bag containing baby necessities such as a first-aid kit, toiletries, diapers, clean towels, wet wipes, toys, Sippy cups, mineral water, baby food, etc. Also, be sure to hire a relocation company in Los Angeles that can safely transport all your other belongings so that you will have one less thing to worry about.
- Discuss the move: If you have a toddler, as opposed to an infant, sit him/her down and talk to them about the move and what it will mean for the family. Toddlers are often startled by change so make sure that you calmly explain to them what will be happening so that they are put at ease.
- Be aware of safety concerns: Be mindful of dangers that may exist for infants on moving day. These include items such as scissors, cleaning supplies, box cutters, etc. Make sure that your baby is nowhere near these objects and that someone responsible is watching him/her at all times during the move. Also, be sure that your infant is securely in baby’s car seat before starting out on the road.
- Baby-proof the new home: Of course preparing for the move itself and transporting your baby safely to your new location are only part of the process. You will also want to make sure that your new home is baby-proof. Remember to keep small objects away from babies and toddler, use child-resistant locks on drawers that contain items that may harm infants and toddlers and be sure to keep all medications out of the reach of children
Follow these strategies and hire our movers in Burbank and you’ll be well on your way to making the new house safe and enjoyable for your baby and the entire family. Happy upcoming National Moving Month!