A lot of people are downsizing these days. And despite the notion that this transition automatically means that these people are somehow depriving themselves of life’s fining things, many of these people are quite happy with their decision. Indeed, many people find themselves thriving in smaller living spaces despite the notion that bigger always means better. Here are five ways the downgrade to a new small house can actually make your life better:
- Lower mortgage payments: There are many factors that determine how much a homeowner’s mortgage will be. One of these factors is square footage. With less square footage and acreage usually comes a smaller mortgage note. A lower mortgage rate can make it easier for a homeowner to pay off his/her mortgage. He or she can then put the savings into other projects.
- Lower maintenance costs: Big homes – while they may look impressive – can be difficult to maintain. You may need multiple handymen and specialists just to keep such a home looking well cared for. On the other hand, owners of smaller homes are often able to do basic maintenance themselves saving time and money.
- A smaller house encourages you to live more simply: Small homes force their occupants to use the space they do have wisely. Homeowners with houses that are 1000 square feet, for example, soon begin to realize that they can make do without some of the amenities that people with larger homes become dependent upon.
- You save on utilities and other routine expenses: Homes of 1,000 square feet or less take less energy to heat and to cool and they expend less electricity than larger homes. Moreover, a smaller home may even save you money on insurance and taxes.
- Small homes feel cozier: Sometimes big homes can feel impersonal and even cavernous. This extra space and depth can make its occupants feel isolated from each other. On the other hand, smaller homes are cozier as its occupants are always in relatively close proximity to one another.
In short, whatever reason you decide to downsize, it can be one of the best decision you can make. You will automatically reap the above benefits and you may even be better off for making the decision. When you are ready to hire movers in Burbank to help you make the transition, contact Russell’s Moving and Storage. We offer the best moving and storage in Los Angeles. We also have designer services and we can store your excess belongings in our super secure, climate-controlled facility.