Are you about to move and have furnishing left over that you can neither sell nor wish to trash? Does the décor of your new home simply clash with your old furniture? Well, take heart. Several national charities will pick up furniture donations from your house, or you can take your furniture to a smaller nonprofit organization in your area. Either way you’ll feel good about giving someone who needs your gently used items a chance to purchase what are to them new furnishings. Here is a list of just a few places that can use your donated furniture items.
- The Salvation Army: The Salvation Army is perhaps the grandfather of all charities. The organization has been in operation for more than 150 years and has more than 7,000 locations throughout the U.S. Thus, nearly everyone is bound to be close to one. The great thing about donating to the Salvation Army is that they will accept just about anything that is not in bad condition including furniture, mattresses, clothing, various household items and more. Moreover, you can schedule them to come right to your door to pick up your donated items. Just go here and enter your zip to start the process.
- Goodwill Industries International Inc. An equally prestigious charity with a spotless reputation, Goodwill Industries International Inc. has many locations throughout the country as well. You can donate your gently used items with the satisfaction of knowing that you are also helping people who are struggling to find work.
- AMVETS National Service Foundation: This organization has been serving veterans since 1944 and has a presence in 22 states. Items they accept include small furniture and appliances, clothing and accessories, toys, electronics, bedding, and much more. As is the case with Goodwill and The Salvation Army, you can also donate your furniture without even leaving your home by scheduling a pickup.
- Homeless shelters: Homeless shelters are ubiquitous throughout the United States making it easy for nearly everyone to donate to these places that are usually in need of nearly everything from food to clothing to furniture. The United Way can provide you with a list of shelters in your area and you can contact them as to their specific needs.
- Local thrift stores: There are many thrift stores scattered throughout the United States. Some are privately owned while others donate their proceeds to charity. Be sure to choose one that does the latter when donating furniture.
Finally, ask for receipts and be sure to retain them. Donations to such charities are tax deductible and you will want to do yourself a favor too if you are giving to others. In the meantime, our movers in Burbank can help you with your move. Our Moving company in Agoura Hills can also provide storage facilities for furnishings you wish to keep but will not be placing in your new home.