Unless the company you are employed with is sending you to work in a new city, the number one concern you should have after relocating is finding new employment. Otherwise, your adventures in your new city and neighborhood could become rather – unpleasant. With that in mind, here are 5 tips that will help you land a job in a new city.
- Don’t wait until the last minute: Start looking for a new job in a different city the moment you know you are moving. Conduct research on the companies in the area where you will be moving. Consider targeting cities that have lower unemployment in your field than in your current community.
- Be available to interview: If you are applying for jobs before you move, which you should be, let employers know that you are flexible as to when you can meet for an interview. Employers are not usually willing to wait for out-of-town interviewers for too long if they have local candidates who are more accessible and flexible with their time. Finally, be prepared to pay for your own travel expenses.
- Get a local address: When employers see out-of-town addresses on application packets it can sometimes make them hesitant to follow up with the candidate. The hiring manager may believe that the logistics of meeting with the potential new employee may be too complicated. Consider addressing your resume with a friend or family member’s address (with their permission) or rent a mail box at a local Mail Boxes Etc., or similar company in the area where you will be moving.
- Look through social media: Start to form connections in the area you will be moving to by going through social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. Ask friends and acquaintances in the target city to help you with an introduction or with useful information that may aid your search.
- Ask about working remotely: Moving to a new city may not even necessitate you having to find another job. Many companies are now allowing certain of its employees to work remotely. You will need a pace to work, a laptop and enough bandwidth to connect to your employer. This kind of arrangement lets people stay with a job they like and at the same time set their own hours.
In brief, by preparing far ahead of time you can land the perfect job in a new city and hopefully retain the lifestyle to which you are accustomed. When you are ready to move, our relocation company in Los Angeles can help expedite the process. More than that, our Pasadena moving and storage company offers you advantages that a DIY move cannot such as a secure place to store your belongings and expert service.