You’ve recently settled into your new home. The sense of newness is still fresh in your mind and you’ve had little time to think of anything except for setting things up. As a company that specializes in the best moving and storage in Los Angeles, we can tell you there is one more matter that must be attended to – security. How safe is your new home? Well, if you’ve just moved into a new home, consider taking these safety measures to make your new house as secure as possible.
- Change the locks: Always assume that keys to your new home may still be out there somewhere in someone’s hands. Upon moving into your new home, you should check everything in it that requires a key or pin lock including sliding glass doors and windows. Then, hire a reliable and trustworthy locksmith to re-key the entire home.
- Install an alarm: An alarm is one of the most effective things you can use to secure your home, belongings and lives of your loved ones. The best thing is that with hundreds and perhaps even thousands of local and national home security systems available, you should have no trouble finding one at the right price. Finally, once you do have a system installed, place signs telling everyone you have a system in place. This has been proven to deter burglars.
- Landscape the yard: Keep bushes and hedges trimmed and cut tall grass as, according to the police, they are ideal places for burglars to hide.
- Secure all doors: According to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, 33% of burglars enter homes through the front door. Inspect all doors around your home and make sure they are strong and that the wood is sound and sturdy. Next, make sure that if you do not have a peephole to have someone install one or a video doorbell.
- Install motion detector lighting: Motion detector lighting is good for deterring burglars who may target your home at night and are also an economical way to light the outside of your home.
- Join or form a neighborhood watch program: One strong defense against burglars is a strong sense of community from the neighborhood. Endeavor to meet your new neighbors and join the local crime watch program or consider starting one if there is not one in your neighborhood already.
Those are just a few things you can do to protect your new home from burglars and prevent yourself from becoming a crime statistic. As the leaders in Beverly Hills moving and storage, we can tell you that your new home will be all the more enjoyable if you feel securely within it.