Most of the ads you see on the Internet for housing are directed towards existing homes. This is fine unless you are one of those people who have decided to buy a new construction home. If you’re seeking advice on how to purchase a new-build home consider following these 7 tips for making it a smooth and easy-going process.
- Shop around for lenders: Sometimes builders will give buyers a break if they use a lender they recommend.
- Check out the builder: Thoroughly research the background of the builder in order to make sure that he produces a quality product. Check places such as review sites, state licensing boards and the local court records to see whether the builder has had lawsuits filed against him in the past. If so, you will want to steer clear of him.
- Get everything in writing: Make sure that you have in writing a guarantee as to when the home will be ready. Also, have in writing what happens if this date changes.
- Ask about warranties: All reputable builders will offer a warranty on the work they do as well as the materials they use. Know how long your warranty last and what it covers as well as what you must do should problems develop. You may wish to have an attorney go over your warranty.
- Retain the services of a lawyer: Hire a lawyer who is an expert in contract law to go over any legal agreements you have made with the builder. New construction contracts are very complex and an expert will increase your understanding of each of these legally binding agreements.
- Use a real estate agent: A real estate agent can be a vital link in the chain when it comes to purchasing a new construction home. They regularly deal with builders and are familiar with other communities of professionals who can help supply you with valuable information about the process.
- Get a home inspection: Yes, a newly built home still needs to undergo an inspection. Before closing, have an independent inspector go over the home’s plumbing, wiring, etc. for any problems.
Hopefully, these tips will give you some guidance on what can be a difficult process. There are many advantages to buying a new home construction and whether you choose to purchase a newly built home or an existing one, our Beverly Hills moving and storage company can help you make the transition from your old place to your new dwelling. We also have designer services in Los Angeles for when you have items that require white glove treatment.