According to the 2016 FBI Unified Crime Report, a burglary occurs every twenty-one seconds in America. This means that all Americans should make home security a top priority. This is especially true for people who have just moved into a new home as they make tempting targets to thieves who may be prowling the neighborhood looking for victims. To help you out, we’ve put together the following list of protection tips for your new home.
- Get to know your neighbors: There are all sorts of reasons to get to know your neighbors when you move into a new neighborhood but security is chief among these reasons. When you are on good terms with your neighbors you can have an extra pair of eyes on your home especially while you are on vacation.
- Change the locks: This small detail is often overlooked by new homeowners. However, when you buy a new home you never know who still has keys to your house. Play it safe and hire a locksmith to change the locks to your home immediately upon moving in.
- Decal decoy: Burglars like to play the percentages. Thus, they will generally avoid homes that are equipped with security systems. Buy a decal that says your home is protected by a security system and even if it is not burglars may not want to take the risk.
- Install motion detector lighting: Darkness is a burglar’s best friend. Therefore, we recommend that you install motion detector flood lights on the front, back and sides of your new home. This way, when nightfall comes burglars will have little to hide them when they attempt to wait near your home. These lights are inexpensive, easy to install and can be set to automatically come on when darkness approaches.
- Install a home security system: The most complete way to protect your new home (and investment) is to install a home security system. You can choose to use a company like ADT for this or you can purchase a DIY system on EBay and other sites. These systems can be customized to fit your lifestyle and give you complete control over your home’s access points.
Finally, we know that as a new homeowner you would probably prefer to think about decorating your new abode. However, your new home is not just a place where you store your valuables; it is also the place where your family lives. Therefore, you should take some time to secure you new home. Our designer’s delivery service Los Angeles and Thousand Oaks moving and storage company can help you make the transition to your new home. It is up to you to secure your home for your family’s safety and peace of mind.