There’s no denying the fact that hiring professionals movers eases the burden of moving considerably. Sure there is still packing and many other chores to perform but overall the convenience of using professionals to help with one of life’s more stressful activities is a good thing. However, there are some accommodations that professional movers cannot make. That is, there are some items that movers are not allowed to transport. These are items that we won’t or cannot move due to legal, ethical or safety reasons. Here are a few.
- Hazardous materials: We will provide you with a list a list of the types of materials that are considered hazardous but in general if you can’t ship or dispose of it in your trash bin then we are probably not able to move it. This includes things such as paint thinner – which is highly flammable – fire extinguishers, acids, chemistry sets, ammonia, bleach, fertilizer etc.
- Pets: Moving trucks are not a good environment for pets. They can get very hot or cold depending on the time of year. Moreover, pets may be injured should an item we are transporting fall on them. For these reasons, we cannot move pets. Take care of your pet and make separate arrangements for his/her transportation.
- Valuable and prized possessions: This includes items such as cash, jewelry, art collections, etc. We can move these items but you may consider moving them in your personal vehicle to have greater peace of mind.
- Guns, firearms, and ammunition: Moving companies simply cannot move these items. This is not only because of the danger they potentially pose, but also due to different state regulations regarding their transport and possession. Gun owners may consider leaving their weapons at a federally licensed dealer and having them ship to them later.
- Plants: Seems like an odd one to be on this list. Doesn’t it? Well, the reason plants are problematic for movers to transport is because there are actually laws about moving certain plaints certain distances. This is because of insects and diseases that can affect plants. States wish to prevent insects and plant diseases from crossing state lines and possibly causing an ecological disaster. Moreover, plants are relatively fragile so you may wish to make special accommodations if you plan to take your plants with you when you move.
In short, it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to moving. A little common sense and preparation can ensure that you, our movers and others are safe and that all applicable laws are followed on that big day. Our Designers delivery service in Los Angeles strives to make your move convenient and safe. If you have questions about other items we cannot transport, contact our Thousand Oaks moving and storage company.